AO Creates Medal to Honor Dr. E. D. Tillyer
From AO News for American Optical Company People,

Southbridge, Mass.
Thursday, April 2, 1953.

On March 21, 1953, President W. A. Stewart presented to the Optical Soceity of America dies for the Edgar D. Tillyer Medal, which AO has created for biennal award by the society for outstanding scientific contributions in the field of vision.
 

The presentation was made at a banquet at the annual meeting of the society, at which Dr. Tillyer was a guest. Dr Brian O'Brien, AO Vice President in charge of Research and also president of the society, gave the acceptance speech.
 

37 Years at AO
 

The medal is a tribute to the achievements of Dr. Tillyer's 37 year career in research for AO. Outstanding among his many developments in the field of vision are the Tillyer lenses, first complete series of spectacle lenses correcting both spherical and cylindrical marginal errors to a practical minimum.
 

Dr Tillyer gained his first fame as an astronomer. Associated with the Naval Observatory and Nautical Almanac Office from 1902 to 1911, his first achievements were in standardizing clocks. Through improvements in temperature control devices and other changes, he reduced the daily error by a factor of five. Since then, others have been able to reduce the error only by a factor of 10.
 

Development in Defense
 

He later became chief of section on image-forming instruments for the Bureau of Standards and devised the optical system still in use on all submarine periscopes today. He assisted the Navy in the revision of all naval gun sights.
 

Other accomplishments included a speedy method for making Schmidt corrector plates, which led to television projection, and a method for producing quartz crystal oscillators in shear vibration, by which many tens of millions were made for communications instruments during World War 11.
 

A native of Dover N.J., he is a graduate of Rutgers and was awarded an honary degree of Doctor of Science by his Alma Mater.
 

The first Edgar D. Tillyer Medal will be awarded by the society in 1954.
 

Return to AO Lens Designers

Return to AO History