American Optical's Executive
in the Lens Plant "Cement Building" - 2L
The Glass Executive Bifocal
was introduced by American Optical in 1952.
What follows are images of this operation as it existed until the closure of manufacturing in June 2005.
The process and design changed little since the introduction of this product, and as such must be considered
the longest running ophthalmic lens manufacture of one product type in only one location -
53 years at AO Southbridge.
For those with ophthalmic
interest or knowledge, click here
a 1975 Technical pamplet in PDF format.
It may take a while to download.
RP Blocks- in the forground, the green is "pitch" that holds the in
process lenses during the lens making process
RP Blocking area where Pitch is applied to Lens Blank
AO Designed and Built Machinery still in use since startup in 1957
Tony at the Milling unit
A view of the display case, showing the steps and components of the AO Executive Lens
Southbridge History Page
AO Southbridge Facilities Page
Dick Whitney Jan 25, 2008 Update
Return to AO History Main Page
Return to Whitney Home Page