American Optical History


March 2008

Where AO Began in 1833- The "Hartwell" Building (at right) on the Corner of Main and Central Streets

On the side of the building is the commemorative plaque which recognized the Birth of AO in 1833


William Beecher - began Silver Spectacle shop at the above location in 1833.
which later became American Optical


William Beecher Gravesite (Southbridge Oak Ridge Cemetery) visited by Diane Matuck (MA Opticans Assocation)
Read her Fall 2009 Article on AO History in the MA Opticans Association Newsletter
 


William Beechers home c1890 at 185 Main Street Southbridge (JEL Digital Treasures image)




Dick Whitney

Return to Southbridge History Page

Return to AO History Main Page

Return to Whitney Home Page