Whitney Web Page -
Southbridge - Then and Now
 

Margaret Morrissey pointed out the following :
From John Moore and Steve Brady's Images of America p. 13

"The Columbian building ... at the corner of Main and Elm Streets.
This building was constructed in 1814 and was moved to the corner of Foster Street and Wardwell Court in the early 1890s
in order to make room for the YMCA that was constructed in 1893."
 


White House at the very left of this 1880's? photo, was at the Corner of Elm and Main (Southbridge Saving lot).
It is shown below at its old site, and in 2008 at 38 Chestnut St.


 


The Columbian Building as it appears in 2008 at its "newer" location - since 1890s


The route of the move to 38 Chestnut Street


Photo submitted by Jim Phillips

See other Southbridge "Then and Now" Images








Return to Southbridge Then and Now

AO Then and Now

Whitney Southbridge Page

Return to Whitney Home Page