Whitney Web Page -
Jacob Edwards Library History

Southbridge, Massachusetts

"Southbridge Public Library was established, by town vote in 1870,
and opened in February of next year, in Whitford's Block.  In 1872,
Holmes Ammidown, Esq., of New York, fitted up rooms for library
purposes, and leased them to the town.  The present Jacob Edwards
Library is a fine modern library building, containing at the end of
1921, 24,297 volumes.  The town appropriation was $6,000 for that
year."

The above piece appeared in History of Worcester County,
Massachusetts, Vol. 1, published by Lewis Historical Publishing
Company, Inc., New York and Chicago 1924.

The Library as it appeared in 1916
(2 years after its construction at the new and present location on the corner of Main and Foster Streets)


 

Photos courtesy of Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge and the Southbridge Historical Association
 

The Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge as it appeared on 1959 Postcard

Link to Ribbon Cutting on Jacob Edwards Library (May 7, 2000)

Link to Jacob Edwards Library Web Page






Southbridge Page on Whitney Web Site

Learn about AO's History

Return to Whitney Home Page