The Monuments of Southbridge Main Page
Whitney Web Page - Our Home Town
Southbridge, Massachusetts

Monuments in Southbridge


Southbridge's Honor Roll Memorial, dedicated on July 10, 2004

Civil War Monument

He Did The Work But Didnít Get Much Credit
By Joe Capillo, May 11, 1998

The Civil War soldier mounted on this monument [in front of Town Hall] was sculpted in 1914 by Southbridge native Edward H. Kavanaugh.
Ironically, he did not get the praise he deserved for his work.The statue was dedicated on July 4th, of that year with an impressive ceremony,
and accepted by Commander George W. Corey, of the Grand Army of the Republic.  The Hon. J. Hampton Moore, of Philadelphia, was principle speaker.
However, nowhere in the program does the name of Edward Kavanaugh appear.
So, while we pay tribute to all Civil War veterans, let us also give praise to the young man from Southbridge who sculpted this beautiful soldier monument for our town.

Click here for PDF File for list of names on the Civil War Monument
(Provided by Margaret Morrissey; special thanks to Dominic LiCastro)

Check this out about Edwin Taylor Morse:
http://www.geocities.com/southbridgefamilyhistory/  Sep 16, 2004

Photo of WWI Vet being honored as viewed from the front of the Town Hall
 

Dedication Article (1938) of the WWI Memorial Shown above, located next to the Fire Station
 

Hiker Monument PDF File
 
 

Recent modifications to Main and South (along with most other roads in town), included moving the Felix Gatineau statue back about 25 feet to a new position.
This move occurred on Nov 1, 2000. For a pdf file that details the text on the statue, click here.
 


Oct 5, 2001 - Felix statue gets painted!

For more on the monuments in town, check out this project by Charlton Street School!

Click here for photo of Felix Gatineau's Store on Main Street in Southbridge
Courtesy of Jacob Edwards Library and the Southbridge Historical Society
 
 

Click Here for a view of the Monuments at the Rotary

The History behind the George Washington Monument in Front of the Post Office





Southbridge History Page

Return to Whitney Home Page